Ever have days when you just don’t wanna cook? Yep, that would be me today. After a sleepless night and having to start work at 5am this morning, I’ve been worthless for the rest of the day. Thank goodness I work from home so, my commute is a short one. But when you’re still awake at 2am and the alarm is set for 4:55, that is not a good thing. Remember when you do not finish all your meal, just save it and our recomment: you need to read best vacuum sealer reviews – top rating food saver to save your food better.
You can have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes with this healthy, yet very creamy and delicious Low-Fat Fettuccine Alfredo. So, since I knew I wouldn’t be in the kitchen very long and I had everything on hand, I decided to just get it over with and make dinner. This recipe uses common pantry items that you probably already have stocked in your pantry and fridge.
Start out by grating 1 cup of a good quality Parmesan cheese.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 10-inch saute pan until foaming and add 2 teaspoons of flour and whisk together until smooth and golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
Whisk in milk, half-and-half, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and nutmeg and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
Remove garlic and stir in Parmesan cheese, until combined and creamy. Remove from the heat and cover.
Bring 4-quarts water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon of salt and pasta and cook, stirring constantly, until al dente, about 2-3 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water and drain pasta.
Return the sauce to low heat and add small amounts of the pasta water and the pasta, tossing until evenly coated, and cooking until the sauce has thickened slightly to your desired consistency, about 1 minute. Serve hot immediately, as the sauce will begin to thicken more as it cools.
Cooks Country recommends that you fill 4 individual serving bowls before starting the sauce with 1/2 cup boiling water each and set aside, and empty them and fill with the pasta right before serving. That’s a great idea, but just too much trouble when all I want to do is get dinner on the table.
Don’t let the Low-Fat in the title of this recipe fool you. This pasta sauce is creamy and smooth with a rich Parmesan cheese flavor. We don’t miss the heavy cream of typical Fettuccine Alfredo recipes or the 821 calories in that one cup of heavy cream.
We served ours with leftover grilled chicken, salad and garlic bread for a complete meal. Hope you’ll try it… It’s heavy on flavor, but low on calories.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup 2% milk
- ¼ cup half-and-half
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (9-ounce) package fresh fettuccine
- In a large saute pan, heat butter over medium-low heat until foaming.
- Whisk in flour until mixture is smooth and golden, 1-3 minutes.
- Whisk in milk, half-and-half, garlic, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce is slightly thickened 1-3 minutes.
- Remove garlic from pan and stir in Parmesan, until combined, and remove from heat and cover.
- Bring 4-quarts of water to a boil and stir in 1 tablespoon salt and pasta into boiling water and cook, stirring constantly, until al dente, 2-3 minutes.
- Reserve ½ cup pasta cooking water and drain pasta.
- Return sauce to low heat and add pasta and pasta cooking water 1 tablespoon at a time, and toss, cooking until sauce has thickened slightly, for 1-2 minutes.
- Add more pasta water as needed to bring the sauce to your desired consistency.
- Serve Hot immediately, as the pasta sauce will begin to thicken as it cools.